City of Monongahela - PA .gov
Official Site of the City of Monongahela Pennsylvania
HISTORICAL SKETCH OF THE CITY OF MONONGAHELA
|Abraham Decker was granted a warrant
dated August 26, 1769, having originally claimed all land now occupied
by the upper part of Monongahela. This tract was seventy acres.
The remaining riverfront from Monongahela to Dry Run Road was claimed and deeded to Paul Frohman. The heirs of William Penn were paid approximately twenty-five cents an acre by Decker and Frohman. In 1770, Joseph Parkinson purchased the Decker lands while other early settlers were Tobias Decker, John Decker, and Adam Wickerham.
Opposite Monongahela, James Devour (later called Devore) operated a ferry which had its Washington County terminal at Pigeon Creek. Devour had operated the ferry previous to the arrival of the Parkinsons, but the latter family obtained the legal right to operate the ferry in 1782.
Parkinson's land, now known as the "island" was purchased by James Manown in 1829 who operated the former Parkinson Ferry until 1838 when a bridge across the Monongahela River rendered the ferry useless.
The first post office was called Parkinson's Ferry; the nearest post offices previous to its being were at Brownsville, Pittsburgh, and Basset Town.
In 1781, a public road was built from Basset Town (Washington) to what is now First Street, Monongahela. This road and a ferry across the river attracted travel, and as a result, Parkinson's Inn was erected in what is now Main Street just a little north of First Street. In October 1792, Parkinson offered lots at a public sale which was a dismal failure until 1796 when 24 of a total of 104 lots were sold. The minimum price was $ 22.00 while the highest price lot sold for $ 239.00.
The Post Office at Parkinson's Ferry was changed to Williamsport in 1833, and in 1837 was again changed to Monongahela City. During the term of Postmaster Chill W. Hazzard, the word "City" was dropped and the local post office is officially Monongahela.
|Page content provided by the:|
|Monongahela Area Historical Society
230 West Main Street
Monongahela, PA 15063
|HOURS: Wednesdays & Saturdays from 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.|
|Contact Information:||Susan Bowers, President||724.258.2377|
|Martha Muniz, Vice President||724.258.3824|
|Carol Frye, Treasurer||724.258.6432|